I am going to share with you quick tutorial on how to setup NordVPN on Enigma2 boxes using NordVPN files and OpenVPN app. This is really easy for someone who knows the stuff and shouldn’t take longer than couple of minutes max.
What you need:
- Notepad++ – download it from https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.6.html
- NordVPN config file – download it from https://nordvpn.com/api/files/zip
- Enigma2 powered box(Vu+ or any other)
- Valid NordVPN subscription – Their best deal is back – 3 years at $2.99/month (75% OFF)
- FTP client – I use Filezilla
- Telnet client, SSH or PuTTY
Preparing the files for upload
Once you downloaded and installed all software you need, unzip NordVPN config.zip and open any ovpn file with Notepad++. Look for line auth-user-pass (should be around line 31) and change it to auth-user-pass password.conf, then save your file as client.conf.
It is very important to do this after opening the file. If you rename the ovpn file before opening in Notepad++ you may corrupt it and make unusable. Next open new file in Notepad++ and on the very top put your NordVPN login details like so:
Then save this file as password.conf.
Using Filezilla or any other FTP client upload both files client.conf and password.conf to your box to etc/openvpn folder and reboot the box. Next run OpenVPN app, Activate it and hit Start. Your IP should now change to the location you edited server for. i.e. for any uk server edit any file starting with uk like so:
- uk368.nordvpn.com.tcp443.ovpn – for TCP port 443 or
- uk367.nordvpn.com.udp1194.ovpn – for UDP port 1194 (more stable in my opinion)
Now run PuTTY or SSH, log in to your box and check your ip using this command:
- wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo
Stop running OpenVPN on your box and check your IP again, if it’s different than previous one that means your setup is correct.
For better stability you can put: auth-retry nointeract exactly below auth-user-pass password.conf in your client.conf file. Also if you spot any issues add that:
on line 40 and you would be able to see the logs and know straight away what’s going on.
Regardless of that if you have encountered any issues during setup let me know in the comments below and I can try to help you out with your box. Other than that you should be good to go and if you liked this tutorial share it with friends and friends of friends. 🙂 I am going to test couple of other VPNs like IPVanish, VyprVPN or ExpressVPN on Enigma2 in my next articles, so keep in touch.